I realized this morning that I haven’t made any desserts or unhealthy goodies for my family all summer long, except for my husband’s birthday cake back in June. So, since we’re just about through July now and summer is flying along way too quickly (gasp — school’s starting in just a few weeks!!!!!), I decided it was a good day to make something yummy for them. This time I tried something new and I’m soooooo glad I did!
These Oreo-stuffed brownies turned out to be really, really good. The recipe makes 12 of them and they’re incredibly filling — almost like eating a big piece of cake in my opinion, even though they’re cupcake-sized. They would be great for bake sales or potlucks, too. From cupboard to plate (including gathering ingredients, making, baking, cooling, and extricating from the muffin tin) it took me less than 40 minutes to crank these beauties out. So quick and easy! Maybe a little too quick and easy…..pretty sure these are NOT a part of my healthy eating plan. Hip hip hooray for cheat day, right?
The boys loved them and they didn’t last very long. My 16-year-old son who is pretty stoic — even when it comes to sweets and desserts (yeah, I don’t know where he gets that either) — raved and raved about these, saying they were (and I quote) “The.Best.Thing.Ever”! If you make them, you’ll want to have milk handy to wash them down. And maybe even some vanilla ice cream. 🙂
Here’s the recipe.
- 1 package of brownie mix (I used Ghirardelli mix in an 18-oz sized box)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup water
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 12 Oreo cookies
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 12-count muffin pan. You’ll want to make sure to evenly coat the sides and bottom of each of the 12 muffin cups in the pan so it’s not hard to get the brownies out when they’re baked.
2. Beat eggs, oil, and water together until combined.
3. Add brownie mix and stir until blended.
4. Using a spoon, put about 1 tablespoon of brownie batter into the bottom of each muffin cup in the pan.
5. Add an Oreo onto the batter in each muffin cup.
6. Add the remaining brownie batter over the top of the Oreos.
7. Bake at 350F for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick inserted into brownie comes out clean.
8. Let cool in muffin pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to a plate. You may need to use a butter knife to gently encourage each brownie out of the cups.
Mmmmmmmm, rich, chocolatey, Oreo-y goodness. Make sure to eat one while they’re still warm, too. You won’t regret it!
I think you could stuff just about anything into brownie batter and bake it. I’m going to be trying Golden Oreos, Chips Ahoy, Girl Scout Thin Mints, and other types of cookies inside brownies in the very near future. Yum!